Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Photo Shoot

For those who don't know, I finally (about 4 months ago) purchased my first digital camera. I know, I know, WAY behind the times. But I loved my Canon Rebel Ti film SLR, and I wasn't willing to part with it until I could UPGRADE. So many thought I was crazy for saying I wouldn't get a digital until I could get at least an 8 mega pixel. But I am serious about my photography, and wouldn't settle for anything that would give me a lesser-quality print than my film SLR. So I saved change, and babysitting money, and used a little tax refund, and got myself the camera that I have always wanted. My Canon Digital Rebel XTi is all I've ever wanted in a camera. The only thing it is lacking is that $5,000 lens that I dream about at night that would allow me to take those professional wildlife pictures :-). One day. One day...

Lately I have been diligently studying the Blue Crane DVD that came with my camera package and learning all those things that I always wanted to know about my other camera, but never took the time or the money in film wasted on bad pictures to find out. Oh, how I am loving this new phase of my photographic life! Today, while I had all 4 kids asleep for awhile at the same time (my three and Baylee, my babysittee), I sat and took detailed notes while watching the DVD. I also spent some time when they first went to sleep and just before snapping some photos with my new found knowledge of White Balance adjustment and ISO speed. Then after played with the TV and AV modes, adjusting the aperture and shutter speed. Ooh, so much fun. I have also been adjusting to setting the focal points manually and playing with angles and lighting... I thought I would share some of the photos that I took.

I just couldn't pass up Bella and the colors she had on today. Of course, we color coordinated with Pinkish the Cast, but the crisp white with the bright embroidery on the shirt, matched with the barrettes and the colors of the Calendula in our front flower bed were dreamy.

























Then there was Maxwell - the color of his skin in the warm light coming through the kitchen window, perfectly highlighted by the honey maple floor and cabinets. Had to get some of that, too.
















And of course, my Kaney, fast asleep in my bed, snuggled up close with Bear. Bear is pretty special. He looks nothing like he did when he was new :-), which makes him perfect. I just happen to have a bear with the same ring worn around his neck as Kane's bear has, from an arm being thrown over him night upon sleepy night for my entire childhood. Okay, I admit it, into adulthood...














I love this one, especially, because since he was little, I've always called his big ol' meaty feet and hands bear paws...


















And of course, my Bella had to sleep, too. I like how Pinkish seems disconnected from her in this second picture, as if it's just something lying there beside her in bed, not the large, unmovable force that has taken over her arm. Speaking of, we went to the hospital again today to have a follow-up and with everything looking just fine, we go back in two weeks to have Pinkish the Cast removed. YEAH! I am grateful for the healing that her body is doing inside this thing, but will be so happy when we can get back to swimming and bathing normally!! August 6th, we patiently await thee...











2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that's some pretty blatant spam there (from the so-called "Kim")

And wow, again, Leslie. Those are some great pictures. I mean, really great. I sit with mouth drooling waiting to watch that DVD (not to rush you, since it is yours after-all), and drooling at your pictures as well.

Great job!

NatureMama said...

Yeah, stick it with a cute name like Kim and you almost at first believe it's a nice comment from a passer-by! I did a bunch of watching and note-taking yesterday, and hope to watch some more tonight. I want to get it to you as badly as you, because I want to be able to get together with you and mess around with learning our cameras!! And figure out how to take green pictures of my kids :-)!