Thursday, December 18, 2008

Quickly, Quickly!

Quickly, while two children are slumbering and two are on their way to their Nan and Pap's house. Quickly, while quiet can be heard beyond the sound of clothes tumbling in the dryer. Quickly, between knitting and sewing, sewing and knitting, wearing my fingers raw to make this Christmas special. Quickly, while my mind is taking a break from the overwhelming task of keeping house along with making every present given by us this year. Quickly, because even when I'm relaxing, it has to happen quickly. Quickly... I have a story to tell you. It's a story of a little girl who is becoming very big. A little girl who planned our menu for lunch yesterday and sent me off to the store in the morning to get her supplies. She reads off ingredients from her Buddy's No-Cook Cook Book, passed down to us from her Uncle Jesse, telling me what we'll have for lunch and dessert. It's Sailboat Sandwiches and Fresh Fruit-On-A-Stick this day, all modified slightly to incorporate our complex diet restrictions. Sailboat Sandwiches on brown rice bread, with cucumber walls filled with tuna salad (her brother's made with yogurt because he doesn't like mayo) and a celery stick sail.
Fresh Fruit-On-A-Stick, dipped in orange juice and rolled in coconut.
Yummm. This story will continue, when, after the Christmas madness, this little big girl starts to plan the menu for her Happy New Year friends and family party, which will be completely orchestrated by her, Bella the Great, Bella the Glorious Princess, Bella the Bella. My Bella, my girl, my daughter, my tempo, the beat to which I live my life.